Reading Takes You Higher

Up the professional ladder, that is.

An article on the School Library Journal blog: Pleasure Reading Leads to Professional Careers, Study Says discusses  a recent UK study finding links between reading and career achievement.

Apparently a childhood/teenage-years habit of reading for pleasure has a strong association to future employment in a professional field. I’d be interested to know whether there were also any strong links between preferred genres and future careers… though I doubt it. Perhaps more telling would be willingness to read a variety of genres – would a broader range of interests link to a career requiring multitasking and wide general knowledge, whilst expertise in a single genre would be good preparation for a career requiring laser-like focus and concentration? (FYI I love fantasy, sci-fi, mysteries, stories of other cultures, a bit of history, humour, a dash of action/adventure, the occasional bit of chick-lit in the holidays… which is why I did not end up dedicating my life to (for example) finding a cure for cancer. I am too interested in everything else)

What’s your reading profile?