Over-correcting?

I just read an article from the Guardian about YA novels and the effect on authors and publishing of social-media backlash events…

I’m left wondering how it would ever be possible to please all the people – one of the examples was where an author was pressured to change or remove their book because it contained a racist character. (Disclaimer: I have not read the book in question) What I am wondering is whether the point of that character was to illustrate what racism is and how it affects people, including targets, bystanders and perpetrators. I’m not sure how it would be possible to reveal the effects that racism has on a person without having a racist character in the mix somewhere.

I’m also fairly horrified at the tales of online trolling, abuse and death threats targeting authors who have written something that someone else feels is not sensitive enough towards a marginalised group. The use of social media to mob someone is always unpleasant, but I don’t think it solves anything. Another writer noted that rather than being on the attack, these moments of disagreement should be an opportunity for “constructive dialogue”, and I couldn’t agree more. If reading books is supposed to be a way to walk in another person’s shoes, then talking about our different styles and preferences would be a great way to further enrich our shared understandings.